Shop ETSY!

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The view from my wheel

This weekend was one of the most productive spinning weekends I've had in months.  I spent it at the Wisconsin Wool Works booth at the State Fair, in the Sheep Barn! I spun for 6 or so hours each day, and finished three small skeins of plied yarn.

I also got to talk to hundreds of people who were interested in sheep, knitting, and especially the spinning wheel.  I had one engineer asked to take my wheel apart so that he could finish building electric spinner for his sister, I had one little boy between two and three years old watch me for about 5 minutes really intently, and then explain to his mommy that it works just like his bicycle.  Including explaining how gears work.  His mom's in trouble when he grows up, I don't envy her trying to keep him from getting bored in public school.

Interestingly, there were more boys interested in the spinning wheel than girls. And more adult men than women.  Maybe it's because its machinery?

In any case, I talked myself hoarse both days.  I really want to thank CKay and Michael for getting up early and helping me get to the fair on Sunday, because having the car there made it possible to bring the spinning wheel home.  They even went and got the car for me so that I could do that.

Keep watching-there will be a giveaway of some of the yarns spun of the State Fair at the end of next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment